The first stable release of Kororaa 15 (codename “Squirt”) has been released and is available for download, in 32 and 64 bit with KDE 4.6 and GNOME 3.
This release includes Ubuntu’s Jockey Device Driver manager, which has replaced the Add/Remove Extras script for configuring third party drivers (such as nvidia). While I am still working on the port of Jockey to Yum, in order to release Kororaa 15 now (already a month later than I was hoping) I am using Jockey packages created by fellow Fedora Remix, Parsidora, so thanks and kudos to them!
Kororaa 15 comes with an RPM metapackage to install and configure Adobe Flash, now that Add/Remove Extras is gone. To get flash, install the flash-plugin-helper package. To remove flash, uninstall the flash-plugin package.
Users still on Kororaa 14 may wish to upgrade to 15 and should do so via a new install (backup your data if necessary). Users who wish to stay with GNOME 2.x should not upgrade to 15, as it comes with GNOME 3. However, Kororaa 15 does include a desktop switcher for GNOME 3, so that users can switch between the new Shell interface and the 2.x style Fallback mode.
The GNOME 3 desktop has a custom theme available, as well as several extensions to provide an enhanced user experience (and help ease the transition from GNOME 2.x). It also comes with the GNOME Tweak Tool to allow further customisation.
- Tweaked KDE 4.6 and GNOME 3 base systems
- Third party repositories (Adobe, Chrome, RPMFusion, VirtualBox)
- Firefox 6 as the default web browser (with integration tweaks for KDE)
- Firefox extensions included (Adblock Plus, DownThemAll, Flashblock, Xclear)
- Microblogging client (Choqok for KDE, Gwibber for GNOME)
- Full multimedia support (excluding Flash, see next)
- Installer for Adobe Flash plugin
- Jockey device manager to handle drivers such as AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
- Video editor (Kdenlive for KDE, OpenShot for GNOME)
- VLC as the default media player
- SELinux enabled (particularly worthwhile for Flash)
- English (Australian/British) support & dictionaries
- and more..
- Add/Remove Extras script removed by default (still in repository)
- Jockey device driver manager added
- New Flash plugin RPM metapackage installer
- New DownThemAll download manager addon for Firefox
- Linphone VoIP client for KDE added
- GNOME 3 switcher between Shell and Fallback desktops
- Pidgin replaced with Empathy for better GNOME integration
- KSplice has been removed by default